Sunday 14 April 2013

Stretching our favourite shoes that are just too tight

On the weekend, I was having lunch with a few friends and we were talking about shoes that are too tight. Wendy had just bought a nice pair of high heels, and after wearing them a short time, they were really squashing her toes. I suggested she took them to a shoe repair place and get them stretched, as that was what I’d done with a pair of boots that were a bit too small for my feet. But my friend had a better idea. “I’m going to put my shoes in the freezer. I saw it on youtube.” “Are you serious!” I said, thinking the idea sounded absurd. “How does that work?” So she explained. First you place one end of a plastic bag in your shoe or boot, pushing it right up into the toe. After filling the bag with water, you must seal it in a way that the water cannot escape. You could tie the end of the bag with strong duck tape or a small tight string. Note, leaking water can ruin your shoes. Place your shoe or boot into another plastic bag and seal that off. Then it’s time to put your shoes in the freezer. Leave them there for a full day, until the water inside is frozen. Apparently, as the water freezes, the ice expands and stretches your shoe from the inside. The next day, take your shoes out and let them begin thoring. Well, next time I have a pair of shoes that are a bit too tight, I’ll try this technique. It certainly can’t do any harm. I better warn my husband though, as he might get a bit of a shock if he opens the freezer to get his ice-cream, and finds a pair of my shoes there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment