Sunday 21 April 2013

In The Drivers Seat

I had so much fun today, driving cars and riding on the back of a motorbike! AS I’M BLIND, it felt exhilarating to be in charge of a motor vehicle for the first time in my life. Of course, the driving instructor had dual control, but he let me do most of the steering and press down on the pedals. My speed reached 95kph at one point. Apparently, I drove okay for the most part, considering I don’t have any sight. But I must confess, I accidentally turned off the track a couple of times and, towards the end, flattened some witches hats! Oops! Riding on the back of the motorbike, gave me a thrill! The man steering, had handles attached to his belt. Holding onto these and keeping my arms rigid, we zoomed around the track at, what felt like, top speed. Throughout the ride, I found myself laughing with glee. The wind whipped through my hair and my heart soared. I had a fantastic driving instructor. He was very encouraging and clear in explaining what to do. I really appreciate, respect and admire him and the other volunteers who gave up their time today. Through conversing with my driving instructor, I learnt that he helps out many other disadvantaged groups, too. People like him are so inspirational and deserve a lot of recognition, though I know they don’t do it for this reason. They seem very humble and warm-hearted. There are so many good people in the world. The media, however, tends to publicise the bad things that happen. I know that news needs to sell, but I think it would be nice if positive deeds received more exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment