Saturday 4 May 2013

Zora's Explorers

My husband and I run a social group for people who are blind or have low vision. It’s called Zora’s Explorers, after my seeing-eye dog, Zora. We meet and do various activities, such as ten-pin bowling, movies and dining in cafes and restaurants. We always try to ensure that our events are accessible by transport. Today, we met up for lunch in the city. We had a lovely time. Everyone seemed to get on very well. The afternoon flew by. I enjoy meeting people through Zora’s Explorers. It’s great chatting with people and having a laugh. I’ve also made some fantastic friends, and even met my amazing husband. I’d been running the group for a few months, when Phil signed up as a member. First we chatted on the phone a few times, then arranged to meet up. And it went from there. He proposed to me after 8 months. We married on 9th of March, 2013. I feel like the happiest and luckiest girl in the world! Coordinating Zora’s Explorers, has helped me to grow as a person. I’ve learnt that we sometimes have to step outside of our comfort zone. While meeting new people has often been daunting for me, overcoming this fear has been very rewarding.

1 comment:

  1. That is a great idea! I hope many people will join your group. While reading your blog, I couldn't help to think of a great product that might really help you. It is called the OrCam MyEye 2 and it is one of the best visually impaired products I have ever seen. It can be used by anyone with any type of sight loss because it can read texts and recognize faces with simple hand gestures - you should really check it out.

    ReplyDelete