Monday 27 May 2013

Reaching for a Dream

Recently, I’ve finished my first novel, “Looking for Love”. It’s about Chloe Smith, who, abandoned as a child, grows up feeling unwanted. After finishing school, she works as a live-in nanny. She falls deeply in love with her employer, Richard Taylor. But he needs time to heal from the tragic death of his wife. Also, his domineering parents strongly oppose her presence in their son’s life. Then she becomes blind in a car accident. As she learns to cope in a sightless world, she discovers how love can really conquer all. I’ve sent my manuscript to a few publishers. In the meantime, I’m working on my next novel. I haven’t decided what to call it yet, but the story is about a blind girl who has been very sheltered all her life. She meets a man who has recently lost his sight. They fall in love. There’s only one problem; her family don’t like him and he doesn’t like her family. Writing has always been my passion. I remember as a little girl, typing short stories on my clunky brailler. I made tactile pictures and stapled the pages together to form little picture books. My Mum still has them today, for sentimental reasons. It’s only been the last couple of years that I’ve decided to take writing more seriously. While it’s always been my dream to be a published author, I used to think I would never have a chance. But one day, I realized that it’s better to try and fail, then to do nothing at all. At least I know that I’m giving it a go.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bernadette,

    I'm writing to you because I've had a look at your blog site and hope you, or someone you may know, might be interested in getting involved in our current campaign here at Diversity Jobs.
    Our site is currently going through a big over-haul and we’re trying hard to get to the bottom of how we can really help people in their search for a fair and inclusive work place. We are here to provide people with support and encouragement, whilst getting their voice heard.
    We are in the process of putting together a whole new section of our site, called the 'big IDEA'.
    We are actually hoping to find a few people who might be interested in contributing something to our new site. There’s a range of content which you could contribute, – from simply answering a couple of short questions, to writing a long article for our blog or maybe even some creative writing, it’s entirely up to you – as long as we’re getting your opinion, we’re happy.

    So just what is the big I.D.E.A?

    The big I.D.E.A is a central hub for the diversity industry to communicate its services, news, awards, events, best practice, opinions, support, products and training. The site is interactive, encourages debate, conversation and communication to evolve and grow the industry. It’s fresh, relevant, will sometimes be provocative, but more than anything will be involving and engaging.
    With so much information out there on the web relating to Inclusivity, Diversity, Equality and Accessibility it's become time consuming and hard to traverse the large number of fragmented sites offering information. Many people have told us they found themselves in a mine field of offerings, so we're pulling together the best of what the industry has to offer in one easy to use interactive site.

    Within a very short time frame DiversityJobs.co.uk has become the UK's leading diversity focussed careers site and we'll have millions of people pass through our site in the coming months as well as a large number of corporate and government sector clients wanting the industry to be clear in its intentions and initiatives.

    Please do get in touch if you are interested in getting involved – even just to have a chat, we want to hear from you.


    Kind regards,

    Ella
    www.diversityjobs.co.uk
    ella@diversityjobs.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello; I'm trying to make an effort to meet other blind bloggers. the best way to introduce yourself is to leave a comment. congrats on your book. Please let me know if I can help publicize it. And I have been invited to participate in a blog hop about the writing process. I have to get three other people to follow me. I was wondering if you might b interested. I can email you more information. Take care, Max www.mr-midway.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dancing Poet : A very inspiring story of a blind girl. A doctor's error makes a young girl permanently blind, but rather than seek revenge, she finds a new meaning in her life through poetry and dance.

    www.cultureunplugged.com/documentary/watch-online/play/51069/The-Dancing-Poet

    ReplyDelete