Tuesday 21 May 2013

Importance of Communication in Relationships

“Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread, remade all the time, made new…, all the time, made new…” Amy E. Dean I always find conflict unpleasant, especially when it’s with a close friend or loved one. But sometimes the experience can help the relationship to grow. That is, if we communicate with each other. The other day, I felt depressed. Instead of telling my husband how I was feeling, I bit his head off and said some things I didn’t mean. I wanted to be alone and tried to shut him out. While the incident was painful, it helped me to realize that I need to communicate more, particularly with my husband. It encouraged us to really “talk”. Of course, I apologized for lashing out and he said he forgave me. It’s impossible, however, to unsay something you’ve said. But we have a deeper understanding of each other now. Lack of communication is a major cause of relationship problems. We need to be able to share our thoughts, feelings and wants. For example, when I’m feeling depressed, I need to let my husband know, instead of biting his head off or shutting him out. Verbal communication is particularly important for me, because I can’t see a person’s face or body language. When someone doesn’t speak to me, I feel isolated, unsure, frustrated. I rely on listening to what people say and their tone of voice. I’m also realizing that successful relationships require maturity. It’s important to recognize and respect each other’s differences. We also need to know how to compromise. When disagreements occur, We should try to find a middle ground. My husband and I always try to be there for each other. It’s the best feeling in the world, having someone to share my life with. While we do have arguments occasionally, if we talk things out, we can learn from our mistakes and grow as a couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment